If you live in British Columbia, you could be eligible for up to $11,000 in grants and rebates if you decide to switch to heat pumps with a total of provincial and federal rebates and grants alone. BC Hydro is giving away $3,000 in rebates as a top-up and an additional $3,000 from CleanBC’s additional rebate. Eligible applicants can receive up to a total of $6,000 from BC Hydro in rebates.
How to qualify be eligible for the BC Hydro Top-Up Program:
- You must have a residential account with BC Hydro
- Your property must be at least 12 months or older and meet at least meet one of the property types below:
- Single-family detached home
- Single-family detached home with a secondary unit (such as a basement apartment) both of which are individually metered
- Mobile home that is permanently fixed on a foundation along with structurally complete heating, plumbing, electrical and sewer systems within the property. Towing, axle and other additional tools should be completely removed.
- Side-by-side or stacked duplex or side-by-side row home or townhouses with each individual unit that comes with its own natural gas and/or electricity meter. Homes that have utility accounts under a corporation are not eligible.
- Your new heat pump must be the new main heat source of your home. Any heating appliances that run on natural gas, oil or propane should be removed with proof required.
- Your invoice must be dated September 28, 2021 or later and you must apply for the rebate within 6 months.
If your home is currently running on heated electricity, you can still get a rebate of up to $2,000 for installing a heat pump in your home.
How to apply:
- Make sure that you are an eligible candidate by completing all of the required elements from above
- It is recommended that you contact at least 3 contractors within your area. For heat pump rebates, additional contractor requirements apply which include:
- For heat pump installation, your contractor should be a Home Performance Contractor Network member (HPCN), licensed with a GST number and a valid B.C business license to be able to provide the installation service
- Once you have found your desired contractor, start installing your heat pump and be sure to keep all copies of your invoice and any other supporting documentation regarding the installation process
- If all upgrades are completed, make sure to complete the online application with BC Hydro and CleanBC. All municipal applications are handled all together and there are no separate applications for the top-up amount. Once you meet the qualifications above, the top-ups will be added to your provincial rebate total.
If you’re looking for more grants, you can also apply for the Canada Greener Homes Grant program in which you are eligible for up to $5,000 in rebates with an additional $600 as a grant for your home evaluations.
In order to be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are the primary homeowner of your property
- Your property should be more than 6 months old from when it was originally built
- The property is your primary home address
- The appliances have to be used to cool and heat the entire property, not just one area of your home.
- It’s also important to note that you will buy and own the following appliances, not under a rent or leasing term
How to apply for the Canada Greener Homes Grant:
- First, you must apply and wait for your application to be approved by the Natural Resources of Canada (NRCan)
- Complete a pre and post retrofit EnerGuide evaluation, which can be worth an additional $600 in your grants
- During the pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation, you can review the recommendations made by your EnerGuide advisor and review which ones can work for your budget and renovation plans within your home.
- Purchase your equipment and product from the approved list created by the Natural Resources of Canada (NRCan)
- Complete a post-retrofit Energuide evaluation and submit the required documents online or via mail. After your evaluation, your EnerGuide advisor will tell you some instructions on how to control your appliances and how much more energy-efficient your home is.
- It is important to note that any work regarding the grant must be done by March 2027.
- You should keep all copies regarding the grant until March 31, 2028.
*It is important to note that the BC Hydro Grant & Rebate programs and the Canada Greener Homes Grant are both separate applications, as the BC Hydro Grant is only eligible as a provincial grant and rebate program.
If you would like to know more about BC grants and rebate opportunities, contact our team today!