The Total Home Energy Savings Program is an incentive program created by NB power in order to help homeowners cut down on utility costs, save energy and overall live in a greener home. You could be eligible for grants ranging from $100-$4,000 depending on which type of upgrades you need for your home.
In order to qualify for the Total Home Energy savings program, you must meet the criteria below:
- You must be the legal primary homeowner of the property you wish to do your renovations in
- Your property is residential: no more than 3 stories high and is smaller than 600m² (6458 ft ²). Single family homes, detached, side-by-side or row homes are also valid
- Manufactured or mobile homes that are built on a permanent foundation are also eligible
- The property must be livable, in sound condition and is capable of receiving an evaluation from a Certified Energy Advisor. The home must have all interior and exteriors finished, a functioning heating and cooling system, kitchen and bathroom(s).
- Properties that have participated in any of Efficiency NB’s programs or NB Power’s Home Insulation Energy Savings Program that are still in need of upgrades.
If you meet all of the criteria and the requirements, here’s how you can apply for the program:
- You can register online or call Save Energy NB at 1-800-633-6272
- Complete an initial Home Energy Evaluation
- After your initial evaluation, you can review the report with your Certified Energy advisor that provides recommendations and any other necessary changes from your evaluation
- Choose the projects that you would like to complete. You have 9 months from your initial energy evaluation to complete your renovations. Make sure to save your receipts in order to receive your incentives.
- Complete a final home energy evaluation, as your Certified Energy Advisor will go through your upgrades and you will receive a rating which shows the improved energy efficiency of your property.
- As noted before, save all of your receipts from all the upgrades that you have made and receive your incentives within 90 days from your final home energy evaluation.
*It is important to note that homeowners are responsible for paying the initial and final home energy assessment which starts at $99+HST.
If you’re looking for more grants and rebate opportunities, the Government of Canada started the Canada Greener Homes grant that can help you cut costs and save more energy within your home by switching to energy-efficient appliances. You could get up to $5,600 in grants and up to $40,000 in interest-free loans. If you’re unsure how the application process works for the Canada Greener Homes grant in New Brunswick, you can follow these steps below:
1. Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria which includes:
- You are the primary homeowner of your property
- Your property should be more than 6 months old from when it was originally built
- The property is your primary home address
- The appliances have to be used to cool and heat the entire property, not just one area of your home.
- It’s also important to note that you will buy and own the following appliances, not under a rent or leasing term
2. Once you meet the eligibility criteria, you must book a pre-retrofit evaluation by one of the approved EnerGuide advisors within your area. You can select one via the online application.
3. After your post-retrofit evaluation, you can submit additional documents via online or through mail. Your energy advisor should be giving you some recommendations and you can decide which one fits within your budget and other home renovation plans.
4. You must complete at least one post-retrofit evaluation in order to be eligible for the grants. After the installation of your new energy-efficient appliance within your home, your EnerGuide advisor will tell you some after care instructions with your new appliance.
5. You have successfully completed your Canada Greener Homes Grant process. You should be receiving your grants within 90-120 days after your post-retrofit evaluation.
If you have any more questions about more rebate & grant opportunities within New Brunswick, you can e-mail or call us at 1-800-458-1289.